Monday, December 21, 2009

Presents in a Pinch

Every year I vow to be more prepared for the holiday season, to plan ahead, and don't save things until the last minute. And every year I find myself in the same part-frantic, part-glazed over state of last minute gift buying/making. If I had given myself more time, I would have made these absolutely adorable coffee tins. But, I was looking for the easiest way out, and when the cutting line at JoAnn's was about 8 miles long (those tins just wouldn't be complete without the pom-pom fringe), I had my out. Of course it was easy to bail on the crafty project when I found these fabulous just-a-tad-too-big-for-coffee mugs. Throw in some flavored coffee a sprinkling of Lindt chocolates, and some dipped spoons, and voila a gift in a jif!


The chocolate covered spoons are just about the easiest thing ever:
  1. Melt some chocolate in the microwave. I used a mix of chocolate chips and hershey kisses.
  2. Dip plastic spoons into the chocolate letting excess pool in the hollow of the spoon (my four year old perfected this technique).
  3. Lay spoon onto sheet of wax or parchment paper and immediately sprinkle with crushed candy cane bits. You could also place a mini marshmallow or two on there, or some coffee beans.
  4. Let cool completely. I got impatient and put the tray into the fridge.
I slipped the spoons into thin baggies made for the chocolate covered pretzel rods that are so hot right now (we'll be making some of those this week, too), taped them closed, and tied with a knot of ribbon.
The buckets of spoons are going to school with the boys for the administration offices. Wish I had the time to make a whole slew of them for the teacher's break room. . . ahh, there's always next year when I will plan ahead better!

2 comments:

  1. Those spoons look delish! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make me laugh michelle!
    I love your project!! I must have a go at it...I'm thinking that would be so adorable for Valentine's day! In a little bucket...Thank You my Friend ;-)
    I dream about crafting with you someday...I bet we woud have so much fun!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting my blog. I love that you are leaving a little note to let me know you were here!