Saturday, May 21, 2011

Fabric Flowers

Here's another flower from the Scrapbook Heaven Garden Party Crop.  Stop by to see all the blooms!

Fabric Flowers
These simple flowers are popping up all over the place.  They're super easy and can be made with any material, from fabric, to paper, to ribbon, to rick rack, to crepe paper, and beyond.

For this project, I used plain white muslin. I like to tear the fabric, rather than cut it, to create a frayed edge resulting in a more shabby chic flower. I also used some homemade mist to dye the fabric.

First, mist the strip with plain water, then mist with the ink (this helps the dye to run on the fabric and gives more coverage with less dye).

Tie a knot at one end of the strip (this will be the bud at the flower's center)

Working in a circle, twist and turn the strip of fabric around the center. I like to keep my petals loose, but play with the tension to create different looks. If you're more of a visual learner, Rhonna Farrer does a fantastic video here.

When you get the fabric the way you like it, glue it to a circle of felt or cardstock to hold it together. Hot glue or fabric glue work well.

The fun part is coming up with ways to embellish your flower centers: buttons, medallions, old costume jewelry. For mine, I used pearl tipped pins.



Have fun, and remember to link up your project here before the 29th to be entered to win a prize!

1 comment:

  1. just came upon your site and your tutorials are great thank you sheila

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting my blog. I love that you are leaving a little note to let me know you were here!